Social Media Day, also known as #SMDay on Twitter and Instagram, is on June 30 this year! #SMDay was created by Mashable in 2010 to celebrate the impact social media makes in our daily lives as well as how it improves businesses through marketing. Social Media Marketing is an excellent way to make a personal connection with your target audience by being authentic and providing useful content. In a digital world where content is kind, social media is one of the best ways to spread content that connects with customers in meaningful ways. To celebrate Social Media Day, DMI created an infographic that explains why your business should get started with Social Media Marketing.
Get Started with Social Media Marketing
- Customers consult an average of 10.7 digital sources before making a buying decision.
- 82% of small businesses say social media is effective for generating new leads.
- 88% of people find online reviews, especially on social media, just as trustworthy as personal recommendations.
- 65% of adults use social networking sites as of 2015.
Social Media Marketing requires integration with your overall marketing strategy and patience! Every social media action your business takes is about earning trust and familiarity.
Perception vs Reality for Social Media Marketing
Many business abandon social media because they think it looks like this:
- Post on social media.
- Customers will like our page and then go to our website.
- Customers will call us immediately and make an appointment or buy a product.
It seems counter intuitive, but the goal of Social Media Marketing is NOT to make direct sales. The goal is to:
- Spread Brand Awareness
- Build Relationships
- Support Other Marketing Initiatives
- And Have All These Efforts Contribute to a Final Sale!
The path through social media marketing really looks more like this:
- Post on social media.
- Customers will see posts depending on keywords, algorithms, and posting time.
- Eventually customers will see posts with content useful to them or with a local interest and will like, comment, or share.
- Because you are building trust and relationships, they will seek out your content. They remember the brand and see value in your business.
- When it comes time for that customer to need your product or service, they will come back to your business because they “know” you.
Social Media Marketing Integration
Integration with your other marketing efforts is key for Social Media Marketing! Social media can be used to highlight and promote:
- Event Marketing
- Sale and Special Offer Promotion
- Customer Service and Reviews
- Sharing Content You Created (flyers, brochures, blogs, etc.)
- Improving Search Rank With SEO
- Spreading News Features About Business
- Establishing Community Involvement
- Promoting Other Marketing Efforts (text club, website, mobile app, store openings, etc.)